- If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold.
- Corona virus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
- This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees.
- Corona virus hates heat from sunlight.
- If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feets before dropping to the ground and is no longer airborne.
- If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours so if you come into contact with any metal surface wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
- On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. Normal laundry detergent will kill it.
- Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses.
- Try not to drink liquids with ice.
- Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but a lot can happen during that time – you rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
- You should also gargle as a prevention.
- A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
- Can’t emphasize enough – drink plenty of water!
SYMPTOMS AND AWARENESS
- It will first infect the throat, so you’ll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days.
- The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This will take about 5/6 days further.
- The pneumonia comes with high fever and difficulty in breathing.
- The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind.
- You feel like you are drowning. It’s imperative, you then seek immediate attention.
The new corona virus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it’s too late.
Expects provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness, or tiredness, etc, it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection.
In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. Everyone should ensure your mouth and throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least.
Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don’t drink enough water regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That’s very dangerous.
So please do everything to ensure your safety during this pandemic.
Wash your hands with soap under running water, sanitize your hands with an alcohol based sanitizer regularly, and drink enough water.
Stay safe! Ghana needs you alive!